Friday, March 20

"Brokin' Board Beach"


When I first bought my home back in March of 2003, I couldn't help but notice all the surfer guys, with heads hung low, walking around with a broken board under their arm. I promptly named my beach Brokin' Board Beach (actually it was Brokin' da Board Beach). I learned very quickly that the surf behind my house was nothing to play with. Even Tom, then owner of Jungle Surf, knew the heartache of breaking your board and offered a free breakfast to anyone that came in with a broken board. Sweet. He's since sold out and moved way down south but I did see him at the beach the other day, checking out the waves with his old buddies (Surf Sandpiper slideshow).

When I passed this sign on my way to Jaco, I thought it photo-worthy and turned around my car to go back and take this snapshot. Later, when I returned home, the board was gone. For anyone reading this that knows me, I WANT THE BROKEN BOARDS. I want to make something really cool. One day, I will officially put up a sign indicating "Brokin' Board Beach" that-a-way...
For now, it's a local secret.

6 comments:

BreeWee said...

I remember Tom from Jungle surf, that was YEARS ago! He once let me keep my stuff there for a while so I could travel to Mal Pais without lugging it all... too funny he was back in town!

Oh man, I hope you collect some boards! Your idea sounds fun... The first board I ever snapped was with Juan and Alberto right there! I cried like a baby and they told me it happens all the time...

I just love your blog, nothing like some simplicity that you share! Have a super weekend!

Tica Macha said...

Thanks for your comments Bree, they keep me blogging.

Anonymous said...

I've got a broken boogie board if you want it. Can't imagine why I'm holding on to the damn thing. Old habits...

We're headed to Guanacaste next weekend, Nosara. A first for us. Have you been there?

Tica Macha said...

I took a little trip when I first moved here and went to a white sanded beach, Conchal? I thought I was in Florida - Beautiful!
Thanks for the offer on the boogie board - I have no idea when we will ever actually "see" each other my blog friend. -t

Anonymous said...

Brokin' Board Beach, eh? I think I've been there...!!!

Tica Macha said...

If I recall correctly from your blog, your boys (and you) experienced the Jaco Heartbreak Board rental$.