Sunday, February 4

"Fried Green Tomatoes"


When this movie came out in 1991, my friends told me I shouldn't watch it because it would upset me. I had just lost my husband and mom to cancer. They died within three months of each other. My father was killed in a car accident soon thereafter. He had cancer as well, a big tumor in his stomach, and they couldn't save him.

Needless to say, I was an emotional wreck for some time and avoided movies with sad endings where someone dies. It was just too hurtful to watch. Time DOES have a way of healing and for the first time yesterday, I watched "Fried Green Tomatoes" with all my favorites actresses. I just love those Southern accents and could identify with it's small town setting. My Mom had a beauty shop in our house, too!

Yes, it's a sad movie and it did make me cry but watching it years and years later, I now have a better understanding of life and the trials we go through living it. I realize that the hardest things we go through are the ones that make us that much stronger. I use to wonder if I would survive and how it would affect my life. I now know I would have never had the courage to do some of the things I have done, had I not suffered some to get where I am. It's still hard for me to say goodbye.

2 comments:

BLOGBloke said...

I watched it the other day too. It's a small world after all!

Tica Macha said...

That's what I love about "blogging", it's really about connecting in this little big world.